Monday, February 21, 2011

My Boulevard of Broken Dreams

I walk alone. I walk alone.
Blowing across the road are thousands of dollar bills representing the scholarship money that would have paid for college, if I would have taken the time to prepare.
To the left of me I see myself as the athlete I was.
To the right of me I see the weak, unhealthy thing I have become.
Tore down, rusted billboards with pictures of my family. If only I would have taken the time to appreciate them.
Up ahead there's the old job of mine I had. Giving it up with good reasoning, but not great.
I could have been farther in life if I would have kept hold of the things I had going for me.
I walk alone. I walk alone.
As I pass I see familiar faces. The peers from high school that I "knew," but didn't really know. Simply because I didn't take the time.
Friends. I hear from a distance as I watch them gossip of those who were less fortunate. But I don't stop them... I didn't stop them.
The road drags on as I weap in tears.
But what I realize, is this is just "My boulevard of broken dreams."
It is simply, a reality check.

Ms. S

2 comments:

  1. BRILLIANT!!!!!!! Your a great writer. I'll be checking out your blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good. I really like, "Blowing across the road are thousands of dollar bills representing the scholarship money that would have paid for college, if I would have taken the time to prepare", it is so true we all have that in our lives, even if it is not a scholarship, the lost jobs that we could have had if only we had tried.

    ReplyDelete